Intellectual Property-License & Franchise
Protecting intellectual property has become the essence of a commercial law practice. Intellectual property now comprises an ever-growing share of a company’s assets and both businesses and individuals must protect that value in order to survive in this competitive era. At Rider Weiner & Frankel, P.C., we routinely provide business counseling on IP issues, registration and protection of intellectual property and related litigation services. We advise and assist our clients, both individuals and businesses, respecting:
- Corporate audits regarding the client’s intellectual property
- Effective sale, assignment, transfer, license of intellectual property rights in connection with sales or mergers of companies and changes of company names
- Distribution and strategic partnering agreements
- Franchising issues
- Copyright registration filings to protect artistic and literary works
- Trademark and servicemark registration, at the state and federal level, for filings, maintenance, amendments, transfers, responses to office actions and appeals from the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Contractual protection of trade secrets
- Non-disclosure agreements
- Litigation to enforce intellectual property rights – infringement and “cease and desist” letters and defense against such claims
- of disputes related to trade secret theft and unfair competition
- Review and negotiation of license, assignment and royalty agreements
- Technology transfers
Related intellectual property services include assisting clients with the legal aspects of developing markets for their products including licensing, franchising, general commercial negotiations related to intellectual property rights, transfer of intellectual property rights and creative products, rights of privacy, publicity and unfair competition, and preparation and review of agency, licensing, distribution, and joint venture agreements.
Our attorneys also prepare and negotiate internet and technology agreements, including website terms of service, online privacy policies, subscription agreements, web development contracts, database licenses and website disclaimers. As a related matter, we provide advice on internet domain name selection, registration and use.